Monday, June 6, 2011

Are You Sacrificing For Success?

While coming back from Raleigh Studios where I had a callback for a film on a Sunday, it occurred to me how much I love to work on a set and how much through the years I have sacrificed for the love of my art. On this one, I sacrificed my entire weekend to study for the original audition on Saturday during the second half of Friday and got the callback on Saturday night - which led to studying all day on Sunday until the call.

Most of you know that my weekdays are very long and I that cherish my weekends. So why use up a precious weekend? Well, when all is said and done, I really am like you... an actor. And, I love to work. I believe that that is both a blessing and a curse. I have been "going at" this beast for 40+ Films and 30+ Television shows since I was a kid. I can also say that I would have been so much further along if I had said "no" to my gut feelings, made stronger choices about my life and sacrificed more when I started.

I must ask you, how many of you truly sacrifice your lives when an opportunity presents itself in order to work? We all know that this is perhaps the most inconvenient career known to man. Auditions and callbacks oftentimes come at the most inopportune time. How many of you rearrange your schedule to allow the time necessary to study and book a job? How much do you really want it? How many opportunities have passed you by when you didn't do the work? Do you really think that there are endless amounts of opportunities out there? What about the auditions that you thought were a waste of your time and then it turned out that that the Producer was extremely established and could possibly determine your fate or think of you in another role on their next project? Every industry professional that you meet is like opening another account. What about practicing on people out there so that when the big audition does come your way, you're ready?

I will tell you this, if you're anxious for your rep to call for feedback, you didn't do enough homework. Let me tell you, the callback is your feedback. Additionally, if you're still studying the script in the waiting room, you didn't do enough homework. If you're still going over your audition in the car on the way home, you didn't do enough homework. If you're still thinking about the audition and running it for weeks after you auditioned, you didn't do enough homework. So many times I'll see actors put down their scripts and say, "I've got it." Ask yourself, "Did you really prepare enough?" Do you guys know how many panic phone calls I get on a weekly basis from actors that are rusty and suddenly get a huge opportunity from out of the blue and need coaching? What about the times that I get a call last minute, when the actor had the script for 2 days prior? If you're saying, "That's not me," then you make me proud. If you're saying, "That is me," then you need to ask yourself, "How competitive are you going to be with so little preparation?" Why even go? You should just cancel. Do you really want anyone in this industry to remember you as just being okay? Don't you want to be on everyone's short list? How serious are you? Are you looking at your career as a hobby, or a true profession?

Trust me, the audition that you didn't work on could very well be the one that can change your life. Do you really want it to go to some other actor? Sometimes all you need is one great role that can change the course of your career. It is said that, "Success always comes when preparation meets opportunity." I do believe that to be true.



Always here for you,
Amy Lyndon
CEO - The Lyndon Technique
_________________________
Amy Lyndon is the Founder and CEO of the Lyndon Technique, a 15 Guideline Map to Booking for actors at all levels. With over 20 years experience and clients at all levels of the industry, Amy provides insights found nowhere else. Check out her totally free 4-Week Booking Kit at www.TLTaccess.com

No comments:

Post a Comment